The ability to interpret body language is a skill that will enhance anyone’s career. Body language is a form of communication, and it needs to be practiced like any other form of communication. Whether in sales or management, it is essential to understand the body language of others and exactly what your own body is communicating.
This course available www.freshskills.net
Understanding body language does more than improve relationships. You will get insight into the thoughts and feelings of those around you. Because it is not a conscious form of communication, people betray themselves in their body language. Body language is powerful in several ways.
Power of Body Language:
- It is honest: Body language conveys truth, even when words do not.
- Creates self-awareness: Understanding body language helps you identify your own actions that hinder success.
- Understand feelings: Body language shows feelings and motive such as aggression, submission, deception, etc. Use these as cues to your communication.
- Enhance listening and communication skills: Paying attention to body language makes someone a better listener. Hear between the words spoken to what is being said.
Much of the way people communicate is nonverbal. Body language specifically focuses on physical, not tone, or pitch. It includes the following characteristics.
- Proximity: The distance between people
- Positioning: Position of a body
- Facial expression: The eyes are particularly noticed.
- Touching: This includes objects, people, and themselves.
- Breathing: The rate of respiration is telling.
Our impressions of each other are based on more than words. People can have cordial conversations and not like each other. The actions that we take are stronger than our words. For example, a person may dismiss someone using body language and not saying anything negative. Like it or not, our body language makes a lasting impression on the people around us.
What Actions Can Say:
- Being open
- Being closed off